How Can Immigration Law Solicitors Help With Visas?

With Brexit still up in the air and immigration laws under constant scrutiny, it can be a challenging and often intimidating experience for individuals to try and get their visas to live in the UK. It requires a thorough understanding of the intricate processes and constant developments of UK Immigration laws.

In many cases, applying for your visa can be a simple and stress free process. However, if your case is more complicated, for example, you’re separating from your partner or you’re applying for your family to get a visa and join you in the UK, it can be slightly more complicated.

In these scenarios, you may need to apply for specialist help and employ the services of immigration solicitor to help you with your visa process. If you feel you need assistance in applying for a visa, we can help. We have years of experience in immigration law and can offer honest advice on how an immigration solicitor can help you to seamlessly apply for your visa.

If Your Visa Has Been Delayed

If you have applied for a visa and your application process has been delayed or the visa itself has been delayed, you may require the assistance of immigration solicitors. Hearing that your process has been delayed can be an especially stressful and may lead you to wonder what is going on and how long it will take. This may be even more stressful if you need your passport back for travel.

Immigration solicitors can look into why the process is taking so long and hopefully uncover the proof, remove the barriers and get you back on track for getting your visa.

Getting a Visa for Family and Friends to Visit the UK

If you are already a citizen of the United Kingdom, you may also apply for a visa on behalf of your friends or family to visit you in the UK. This allows them to visit you in the UK for up to 6 months. This application though it sounds simple can be confusing with specific evidence needed to establish the genuine intention and purpose of the visit , so you should consider getting legal advice form immigration solicitors for advice on how to fill out this form and the evidence needed. It will save you a lot of time and hassle.

Getting a Visa for Your Partner

As mentioned above, if you’re living in the UK, anyone can visit you for up to 6 months by applying for a general visitor visa. However, If they’re your partner, they can apply for a visa to stay longer than 6 months. Partner refers to relationships such as:

  • Husband or wife
  • Civil partner
  • Other partner who you’ve lived with for at least 2 years

There are a lot of specific requirements for applying for a partner visa, and this process can easily be complicated and overwhelming. For example, applying for a partner visa depends on whether they are your fiancé or if you’re married. Depending on your actual relationship status will affect the kind of visa you can apply for. There are specific financial thresholds that have to be met to qualify for a partner/spouse visa along with specific evidence which needs to be supplied in support. Getting a refusal decision can derail plans resulting in months and months of delay while an appeal is brought through the courts. Our experienced immigration solicitors can guide you through the process so the application and experience is straightforward.

If you’ve Overstayed Your Visa or Leave

This is where things become particularly complicated and would require specialist assistance from immigration solicitors. The Home office will not remind you when your visa or leave expires, so it is common for the visa to expire without the individual being aware. Once your visa expires, you have a mere 90 days to leave the country.

However, there is a chance you can apply for a new visa within 14 days of your old one expires. In this situation, it is best to get help to prove you had a good reason for missing the deadline for reviewing your visa.

It’s important to remember that you will not be entitled to the same rights you previously had when your visa was valid. For example, if you were working before your visa expires, you will no longer be able to work until you successfully apply for a new visa.

Staying in the UK After a Legal Separation or Divorce

This applies to an individual who is staying in the UK as a dependant on their partner’s visa. As soon as you appear separated or divorced, you will lose your visa rights. You will need to check your rights to stay in the UK and ideally, apply for a new visa if you can. Otherwise, you will be required to leave the country.

You must ensure you tell Home office of your divorce. If you don’t, future visa applications may be jeopardised.

It is strongly recommended that you seek legal advice from an immigration solicitor to deal with this process as they will be the best people to advise you on your individual circumstances. Our team of immigration solicitors will be able to find you the most appropriate route to ensure you can stay in the UK, such as opting for the “parent route” if you have children in the UK.

If you have been a victim of domestic violence or abuse from your partner, there may be other ways for you to stay in the UK. Contact an immigration solicitor immediately – they’ll be able to tell you what you did next and you may also be entitled to free legal advice (called legal aid) depending on your situation.

Get Help With Your Visa Application Today

Here at RKB Law, we are experts in immigration law and processes and can help you successfully apply for a visa, either for yourself or for friends, family or a partner. Our team of immigration law solicitors are ready to assist you and provide up to date legal information to ensure you and your family can continue living in the UK.

Contact us today to see how we can help you with your visa application. Whether it is a case of a small application misunderstanding or something bigger, we can use our years of experience in immigration to assist you however we can.