Individual Immigration

Standard Visitor Visa

If you wish to come to the UK for a holiday, to see family and friends, for a business meeting or a short course, to take part in a research programme as an academic or private medical treatment, you will need to apply for a standard visitor visa.

Under the standard visitor visa, you are able to study for a period less than 6 months and the course must be provided by an accredited UK institution.

You may also apply to visit the UK for private medical treatment under this visa category. You will be required to prove that you have made arrangements for consultations or treatments and have enough funding to pay for the treatment.

Contact our solicitors on 01622 541054 for further assistance on how to apply.

Marriage Visa

A marriage visitor visa is available for those who wish to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK or want to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in the UK. This must be carried out within 6 months of arrival.

You will need to show that you will be able to support yourself financially during your trip or have funding from someone who is able to support you. This is also applicable to your onward journey from the UK.

Family Visa

Under the family visa category, you can apply to come to the UK to live with your, spouse or partner, fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner, child, parent or relative who will provide long term care for you.

Partner or Spouse

To come to the UK to live with your partner or spouse, they must be British or Citizens or have settled in the UK. You both have to be over the age of 18 and intend to live together permanently after your application.

You will be required to prove that you are in a civil partnership or marriage that is recognised in the UK. You need to have a good knowledge of English and must be able to financially support yourself and your dependents.

If you have children under the age of 18 at the time of application or were under 18 when they were first granted leave and do not live an independent life, they can be added to your application as dependents.

Adult coming to the UK to be cared for

Under the family visa category, you can apply to come to the UK if you need long term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK. The person caring for you must be a British or Irish citizen or have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK.

You are required to prove that:

you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age The care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in.

The person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years you’re 18 or over

Settling permanently in the UK

If you have lived in the UK for 10 continuous and lawful years, you will be entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain. Continuous means that you have not left the UK for more than 6 months at any one period of time or a total of 18 months (540 days) over the 10 year period. If there has been a gap of more than 6 months, you will be required to start the continuous residency again.

Your residency in the UK must be lawful and any period where you have overstayed your visa will be regarded as unlawful for purposes of this application. There may be some exceptions to this, and we can advise you on your individual circumstances.

How can we help?

Our focus is to provide the best legal advice and assistance,
please contact us or complete our get in touch form